Here are 10 ways to motivate piano beginners to help them develop the skills needed while hopefully having some fun along the way
Small children need guidance and support with their practice when they start to learn an instrument. They need to learn how to be disciplined and organised which are both invaluable skills to have in life. But in many ways the practice is just as important as the lessons when it comes to making good progress.
First, it is most important that the child knows exactly what they need to practice with a clear strategy for learning new music. But when it comes to maintaining their motivation and keeping them on-side, you’ll need a few ideas and incentives to encourage them.
10 Ways To Motivate Piano Beginners
- Use A marble Jar and play jumping gem stones.
- Play the Dice Game
- Establish a practice routine which suits the child’s family time table. A good idea is to agree that practice should always be done before any screen time is allowed.
- Arrange concerts and piano parties with children of the same age so that they get used playing to each other regularly.
- Use a sticker chart for every new piece, so you can chart the progress of a each piece with a reward incentive on completion and final goal.
- Let the child choose a particular favourite/popular piece – it always helps if it’s their idea!
- Make sure the instrument is kept in the main living area/ family room (not tucked away in a quiet room) no one likes to feel left out!
- Allow the child to stay up a bit later and give you a little ‘concert’ for 10 mins more rather than having to go to bed. Make sure you sit and listen, this can be great one to one time at the end of the day.
- Prepare a piece for a birthday surprise for a Grandparent – ( Happy Birthday would go down well!)
- Make a recording of them playing their favourite piece to send to relatives – these will be treasured momentos when they’re all grown up!
If you enjoyed this post, check out my First Piano Lesson eBook and musical lesson plans which are full of musical games and activities to make music lessons fun!
Stay up to date with Let's Play Music!
Receive new post notifications and updates from Let's Play Music straight in your inbox!