Music Note Whispers is an excellent rhythm game for practicing note recognition and reading rhythms. It can be easily adapted to be as simple or challenging to suit the required level of the children in the group.
How To Play the Music Note Whispers Rhythm Game
How to play
- First print off the flashcard sheets (click on the links above) laminate them and cut them out.
- Sit in a circle with the note flashcards in a small box or bowl in the centre of the circle.
- The 1st child picks a card and without showing it to anyone, whispers the rhythm (ta – ta, ti – ti etc) of that note to their neighbour.
- Continue this process all around the circle until it has reached the 1st child again. They then place that card face up on the floor and clap the rhythm.
- Everyone in the group then claps this rhythm back like an echo.
- The next child takes another card and the whole pattern is repeated.
- When everyone has finished the whispering round the second child then adds their card to the first, but then they clap the rhythm of both cards one after each other.
- The game continues as each child has a turn adding another note to the growing line of notes on the floor. As the game progresses, they each have a turn at clapping the long line of notes and see what the rhythm sounds like as the notes are added.
- With younger children, you may choose to limit the number of notes to keep it more simple.
- Older children will love the cumulative nature of the growing line of notes and enjoy the challenge of clapping such a long rhythm.
Stay up to date with Let's Play Music!
Receive new post notifications and updates from Let's Play Music straight in your inbox!