The Easter rhythm game is a great way to get some extra practise with rhythm and note recognition while also having lots of Easter fun at the same time.
- Print the rhythm game cards and mount them.
- You can either use the ready coloured version or print the plain outline and let the kids decorate them first.
- Cut them out to make 4 picture cards and 4 corresponding rhythm cards.
- This game can be played with children of around 3 years upwards.
- You can keep it simple for younger ones as they will copy and match the sounds by memory, whilst older children will be able to match them by reading the words too.
If you are new to music theory, read my Introducing the Note Family post, which explains basic note values in a child friendly way.
How to play this Easter Rhythm Game
1. Go through each picture, saying the words and clapping the matching rhythm in turn.
2. Mix them up and ask the child to try to match the pairs of pictures and rhythms. You can also vary this by asking them to close their eyes while you hide one picture and then they have to guess which one you’re hiding.
3. Then use the cards as a prompt, first showing the picture and asking the child to clap the rhythm and say the words that belong to it.
4. Whisper the words of one of the cards e.g “Hot Cross Buns” into one child’s ear. He or she then has to tap that rhythm a couple of times while everyone else has to guess which picture it corresponds to. They can do this by pointing at the picture and saying the words.
5. For older children, you can secretly show them each a rhythm card. They read it and tap the rhythm and see if the others can guess. Tell them you are playing “secret agents” and you are tapping codes to each other!
If you’re looking for more rhythm activities for kids, check out our rhythm Pinterest board.
Follow Sara @ Let’s Play Music’s board Rhythm Games & Activities on Pinterest.
Have you seen our new How To Read Music Theory Bundle? It’s the fun & child friendly way to learn to read music!
Stay up to date with Let's Play Music!
Receive new post notifications and updates from Let's Play Music straight in your inbox!