Here’s a music lesson plan written specially to celebrate the customs and traditions of St Patrick’s Day. Older children will love this magical theme with the Rainbow Circle Game and Pot Of Gold Rhythm activity, while younger ones enjoy the little leprechaun puppet and the jolly Celtic jigs! The St Patrick’s Day lesson plan is 17 pages long.
This lesson is suitable for children from 21/2 – 7 years and should take around 35 mins, but many of the activities can be used again separately whenever you need a short musical activity at any other time for a bit of lively movement or at circle time. There’s a whimsical feel to this class with plenty of encouragement for little imaginations!
This Lesson Plan Teaches…
- Learning solfege with chime bars or resonator bells
- Playing a variety of percussion instruments, recognising the steady beat and the rhythm.
- Listening skills, remembering patterns and echoing rhythms
- Singing together with actions – puppets, speech development and motor skills
- Social skills; working in a group, following instructions and building confidence
- Lively movement to traditional Irish folk music.
These plans are not intended to read as a script, as everyone will have their own teaching style. More, I hope that they will provide you with in-depth guidance for a number of related activities that I have found in my years of teaching to be particularly effective and engaging combinations.