The Caterpillars and Butterflies lesson plan teaches the life cycle of the butterfly, practices colour recognition, while encouraging children to appreciate the wonders of nature through a variety of musical fun activities.
The Caterpillars and Butterflies lesson plan focuses on:
- Learning solfege with chime bars or resonator bells
- Playing a variety of percussion instruments, recognising the steady beat and the rhythm.
- Listening skills, note recognition, remembering patterns and echoing rhythms
- Developing literacy with The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Singing together with actions – speech development and story telling.
- Social skills; working in a group, following instructions and building confidence.
- Developing creativity with imaginative movement to music.
This lesson plan is 17 pages long, with 10 printables and is is suitable for children from 2 – 6 years. It should take around 35 mins, but many of the activities can be used again separately whenever you need a short engaging musical activity at any other time.
These plans are not intended to read as a script, as everyone will have their own teaching style. More, I hope that they will provide you with in-depth guidance for a number of related activities that I have found in my years of teaching to be particularly effective and engaging combinations.
I have purchased every lesson you have available and LOVE them all!! I lead music classes for toddlers and preschoolers and I love how each of your lessons builds on each other. They are easy to adapt for the different ages. The parents of my students love that their kids are learning early music education while having a blast and that the kids go home and sing and stomp out rhythms. I would highly recommend your plans to everyone. And I look forward to seeing the other lessons.