I know these benefits of music lessons to be true, first hand from years of experience teaching music and from raising my own kids. There are many excellent articles and studies on the subject of the benefits of music available from educational specialists far more qualified than me. There are some links at the bottom of this post to some good articles from around the web on the subject, if you wanted to do some further reading.
10 Benefits of Music Lessons
- Improve reading skills, increase vocabulary and language ability.
- Develop listening skills, aural awareness, abstract thinking and imagination.
- Increase memory skills, builds concentration and attention span.
- Build social skills, self-discipline, patience and improve behaviour.
- Stimulate and strengthen the same part of the brain needed for maths and reasoning.
- Piano lessons particularly develop fine motor skills needed for writing.
- Build confidence and emotional growth and make a happier child.
- Music performance teaches kids to deal with nerves and stressful presentation situations like interviews.
- Children who have music lessons score higher in their SATs writing, maths & science and higher grades in general.
- Music lessons develop the skills that provide a firm foundation for learning.
From around the web : Benefits of Music
If your child is just starting to learn about music visit 5 best Music Activities For Kids aged 0-5! or if they are just starting to learn piano see Getting Started from our First Piano Lessons series.
Stay up to date with Let's Play Music!
Receive new post notifications and updates from Let's Play Music straight in your inbox!