When it comes to choosing classical music tracks for kids to listen to, people often don’t know where to start. I have experimented with many tracks over the years and so come armed with plenty of suggestions that have been tried and tested and are guaranteed to go down well. Here is my definitive list of music that gets kids moving, good for background for crafting or to encourage creativity.
If you’re after classical music tracks for kids in order to set a relaxed and calm environment, check out this playlist.
Music has many wonderful uses and it can be chosen to fit any mood or activity. Children love contrast, so don’t be frightened to mix it up a bit. So here are my top 14 classical music tracks for kids, it was supposed to be 10 but I found it difficult to be so restrained! Hopefully it will help get you started…
14 Best Classical Music Tracks For Kids
Click on the title of the song to download them!
1.Johann Strauss Tritsch-Tratsch-Polka Op. 214
Great for skipping around to, good for imaginative movement.
2. Johann Strauss Radetzky March Op 228
An obvious choice for marching, banging on drums and pretending to be a soldier!
3. Tchaikovsky The Nutcracker Suite Op.79a
Who wouldn’t want to be a sugar plum fairy or march like a tin soldier!? Great variety- not just limited to Christmas and your children might already recognise it if they like the film Elf!
4. Elmer Bernstein The Great Escape Theme Tune
Another one for marching! Really good one to clap or drum the beat of the music to.
5. Henry Hall Orchestra Teddy Bear’s Picnic
Dancing with your favourite teddy bears to this track is compulsory!
6. Henry Hall Orchestra Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
Great song which goes with the story of the Three Little Pigs. You can read the story and then sing along to the song!
7. Georges Bizet Carmen Suite #1: Les Toreadors
MORE marching! Particularly good for older children to pretend to conduct to, fantastic for expression and hours of rousing fun!
8. Edward Elgar Pomp and Circumstance March #1 Op.39
Similar to the Bizet track above, encourages similar kind of movement, kids just can’t resist joining in!
9. George Frideric Handel Water Music
Calming and floaty, group activity of floating scarves, or fantastic calming background music.
10. Vivaldi’s Four Seasons
Same category as the above, perfect for background to games and other activities.
11. Johann Pachelbel Canon in D
12. J.S Bach Air on the G String
As above – and one most people will recognise!
13. Camille Saint-Saens Carnival of the Animals
This is perfect for imaginative movement for slightly older (primary school age) children. Different animals are represented in the music, see if your children can guess which are which!
14. Traditional Scottish Country Dancing
Great for circle games, skipping through arches and budding river dancers!
We would love to add to this list. What do you think should go on? Add your/your little ones favourites in the comments below.
For more classical music tracks for kids, check out:
- 5 Classical Music Tracks for Fairy Dancing
- Classical Music Tracks for Imaginative Play : Pirates & Adventurers
- Best Classical Music Tracks for Marching
- 14 Best Classical Music Tracks for Calm and Tranquility
Have you seen our weekly lesson plans? Lots of fun, themed musical ideas for structured music lessons for 2 – 7 year olds.
Stay up to date with Let's Play Music!
Receive new post notifications and updates from Let's Play Music straight in your inbox!