A lesson to teach and practice colour recognition, encouraging children to appreciate the wonderful colours of everything around them, with a variety of musical fun activities. This lesson plan is 14 pages long.
This digital lesson plan focuses on:
- Learning solfege with chime bars or resonator bells
- Playing a variety of percussion instruments, recognising the steady beat and the rhythm.
- Listening skills, remembering patterns and echoing rhythms
- Singing together with actions – speech development and solo responses.
- Social skills; working in a group, following instructions and building confidence
- Imaginative movement to music.
The Colours lesson is suitable for children from 2 – 6 years and should take around 35 mins, but many of the activities can be used again separately whenever you need a short engaging, musical activity at any other time. These activities are also great for inspiring and exploring colour before painting and craft activities.
These plans are not intended to read as a script, as everyone will have their own teaching style. More, I hope that they will provide you with in-depth guidance for a number of related activities that I have found in my years of teaching to be particularly effective and engaging combinations.