Little Mouse’s House is an engaging singing game which will encourage even very young children to join in and have a go! It’s very simple and excellent for building confidence.
This activity can be sung at home with just two people, at a party, or just when some friends come to play. It’s perfect to sing after Hickory Dickory Dock, and you can use the same cardboard clock and little mouse, but if you don’t have time to make one, you can easily improvise with any box and toy mouse puppet.
“Little Mouse, Little Mouse
Come out, of your house!”
You can see how to integrate Little Mouse’s House into a music lesson by checking out my Clocks & Mice lesson plan.
This fun singing game really encourages imaginative role playing and solo improvised responses. Children will often carry on having a lovely chat with the little mouse, and ask him all sorts of questions! You’ll find even the shyest child can’t resist joining in!
How To : Make a Little Mouse
What you need: A fan shaped piece of material (velvet or felt works well), two black beads, pink/beige embroidery thread, some wadding and a needle and thread.
1. Take a piece of material – felt works well, but here we have used velvet – and cut it into a fan shape and then roll it around to create a cone.
2. Stuff the cone with a bit of wadding and sew along the body of the mouse to secure
3. On the point side of the cone (which is going to be your mouse’s face) sew on the two black beads very tightly
4. Embroider the nose on the tip of the cone with a bit of pink embroidery thread
5. Sew whiskers by stitching a loop on the side of the face and trimming them to the right length
6. Using the same embroidery thread that you used for the nose, plait three lengths into a little tail and secure on the little mouse’s bottom.
7. Cut out two small triangular piece of your material, and secure to the top of the head for ears!
If you enjoyed this post, come and join us on Facebook, Pinterest and Google + or subscribe to our free bi-weekly newsletter for many more musical ideas!
Stay up to date with Let's Play Music!
Receive new post notifications and updates from Let's Play Music straight in your inbox!