The Feelings lesson plan encourages children to recognise and talk about different feelings and emotions through a variety of musical fun activities.
(This post contains affiliate links for your convenience)
This lesson plan introduces…
- Learning solfege with chime bars or resonator bells
- Playing a variety of percussion instruments, recognising the steady beat and the rhythm.
- Listening and concentration skills
- Singing together with actions, new vocabulary, speech development and solo responses.
- Social skills; working in a group, following instructions and building confidence.
- Imaginative movement to music, learning to connect music with emotion and feelings and developing creativity .
- Resonator bells or chime bars
- A variety of percussion instruments
- The sheet music and resources included.
- A cardboard staircase prop, to use with the little coloured emotion characters – you can make one your self, or buy a set of wooden steps with the chime bars included..
- Suggested book to accompany lesson – Sometimes I Feel….
- A selection of coloured scarves or ribbons and streamers to use in musical movement.
- For the Sound game: Some small opaque containers (I use old film canisters, but plastic eggs/kinder eggs would work well too) and a collection of items that make a distinctive sound eg. pennies, shells, sugar, pasta, rice, bells etc. and a larger box to hide them sound pots in
The Feelings lesson plan is suitable for children from 3 – 7 years old and it is 13 pages long with 6 printables included.
If you’re looking for more themes, check out the rest of the lesson plans here. Download the lesson plans using the button below.
These plans are not intended to read as a script, as everyone will have their own teaching style. More, I hope that they will provide you with in-depth guidance for a number of related activities that I have found in my years of teaching to be particularly effective and engaging combinations.
Check out our store for lots more digital music resources.
Here’s some feedback from satisfied customers:
“I downloaded the clocks and mice lesson plan and LOVED it. I’d like to start a music program in my classroom based on your lessons. I’d love to buy 30-40 lessons from you to fill up an entire school year if I could!”
“I am starting my first preschool music class next week and I need your website! :)”
“Thanks so much for all your hard work on this website and in putting together such great activities and lessons. I have been following the first piano lessons and easy pieces for the last couple of months with my six and four year old. I learnt oboe for seven years and my piano is pretty basic but these lessons have been so easy and fun to follow…and teach!”
Stay up to date with Let's Play Music!
Receive new post notifications and updates from Let's Play Music straight in your inbox!